Monday, March 5, 2012

Lucky Number 7

This morning I got up early.  It didn't take long for me to find a certain photo album.  I brought it downstairs to the kitchen, and waited for my husband.  Flipping through brought back memories of friends and family who came together for two people... seven years ago.  

March 5th, 2005 ~ our wedding day.

It was good to see familiar smiling faces... and sad to know no matter how hard I looked, there were some I'd never find.  I can see their faces smiling in my mind's eye, from another time and place.  I know they would've been there if they could.

There are photos from the church where we married ~ the church where I grew up.  My bridesmaids and I got dressed in the teen room, a place where I spent many Sundays and Wednesdays learning from great teachers.  One of those teachers was Steve Daugherty, who officiated our wedding ceremony.

On my left hand I wore my gold wedding band.  On my right, I wore another.  It was my great-grandmother, Clara Mae's ruby ring ~ one of the few possessions my grandma inherited from her mother.  My mother also wore it on her wedding day.  Someday, maybe my daughter will wear it too.

The ceremony was simple and beautiful, and perfect for us.  There were a few mishaps, which I find make the day more memorable.  Everything worked out just as it was supposed to...even if not completely as planned.

I love each and every one who helped us out that day, and every day since.  You all have a special place in my heart, and in my husband's.

So, my husband joined me to flip through the pages, and we reminisced and laughed a little.  Just as he was leaving, we wished each other a happy anniversary... 

May there be many more.

 
 "A wedding anniversary is the celebration of
love, trust, partnership, tolerance and tenacity.
The order varies for any given year." 

~ Paul Sweeney ~

13 comments:

  1. Oh my, what a sweet and touching tribute!! The rings you wore are indeed a very special touch.
    The quote at the end is so true too.Wishing you
    MANY more happy years together~~Lucy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Photo credit goes to Valerie Hoffman Bradford:
    http://valerihoffmanbradford.com/

    oval frame (I used the png version):
    http://freevintagedigistamps.blogspot.com/2012/02/free-vintage-digital-stamp-oval-frame.html

    grungy texture:
    http://alteredbits.com/freedownloads/grungytexture.jpg

    Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary! I do wish you many more. It is so special that you took the time to stop together and reminisce. There are no guarantees when it comes to life.
    The photo is gorgeous! So much personality in that shot;)
    Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janet ~ yes, it was good to reminisce... we got to laughing about how much more hair Chad and his brothers had back then :) Valerie did a great job with our wedding photography ~ this was an 'after the ceremony now you can relax' shot...

      Delete
  4. Happy Anniversary to you and your husband Megan, with the very best wishes for many more wonderful years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Anniversary. What a lovely wedding photo and how special that you got to wear your great grandmother's ring too on your special day. Wishing you many many more years of happily married bliss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much... I love her ring, it's very special. It was my 'something old' too.

      Delete
  6. wo, what a lovely copple and photo.
    like this post and i wish you many happy years.
    greetings from the netherlands

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Anniversary. My husband and I have been married for 23 years but 10 of them we were estranged. We just reunited 6 weeks after our last Anniversary. Our 24th, October 1, 2012, will be extra special. It will be our first anniversary since we got back together. We stayed living together for financial reasons and never thought we'd reunite, but we did and we're happy but it's a struggle. Problems don't resolve that easily and past hurts are sometimes make it tough.

    You and your husband look so happy and I wish you many many more. Katharine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've also had our struggles, and it was hard to work through them at the time, but they ended up bringing us closer. I hope this year is a great one for you, your husband and your marriage!

      Delete

“Kind words can be short and easy to speak,
but their echoes are truly endless.”

~ Mother Teresa