Friday, December 2, 2011

Winter Thoughts

"The flowers of late winter and early spring 
occupy places in our hearts 
well out of proportion to their size."
~ Gertrude S. Wister ~

 
 
"I've been a dweller on the plains,
have sighed when summer days were gone;
No more I'll sigh; for winter here
Hath gladsome gardens of his own."

~ Dorothy Wordsworth
 
 
"In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." 
~ William Blake ~ 
 
 
"The cold was our pride, the snow was our beauty.   
It fell and fell, lacing day and night together in a milky haze, 
making everything quieter as it fell, 
so that winter seemed to partake of religion 
in a way no other season did, hushed, solemn."
~ Patricia Hampl ~  
 

"I prefer winter and fall, when you feel the bone structure in the landscape - the loneliness of it - the dead feeling of winter.  Something waits beneath it - the whole story doesn't show."
~ Andrew Wyeth ~ 
 
 
"Have you ever noticed a tree 
standing naked against the sky,
How beautiful it is?  
All its branches are outlined, 
and in its nakedness
There is a poem, there is a song.  
Every leaf is gone and 
it is waiting for the spring. 
When the spring comes, 
it again fills the tree with
the music of many leaves, 
Which in due season fall 
and are blown away. 
And this is the way of life."

~ Krishnamurti ~
 
 
"In the depths of winter I finally learned 
that within me there lay an invincible summer."
~ Albert Camus ~
 
 
"Every gardener knows that 
under the cloak of winter lies a miracle... 
a seed waiting to sprout, 
a bulb opening to the light, 
a bud straining to unfurl.  
And the anticipation nurtures our dream."
~ Barbara Winkler ~
 
 
 "There is no season such delight can bring,
As summer, autumn, winter and the spring."
~ William Browne, 1630 ~
 

It's not quite winter yet ~ but it feels like it here!

Have a beautiful December day,
wherever you are!

9 comments:

  1. The photos are my own... taken yesterday morning around my home. Aren't those roses amazing? Can't believe they're still blooming in to December :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pic's. Especially the one with the sun through the trees. You need to teach an art class and make things like your wreath! I'd come!! :)
    Judy Mason

    ReplyDelete
  3. The photos are incredible,and I don't know where you find all your quotes but they are always superb!!!Have a wonderful weekend! Our snow has all but melted...

    ReplyDelete
  4. STUNNING photography, breath-taking verse...the rose picture is a crown to all the other gems! I will need to keep the poem by Krishnamurti! Oh, there is no season that does not shout the awesome glory of the Creator. Thank-you for taking the time to capture and share a little piece of it for us to enjoy!

    The landscape looks very similar here. Heavy frosts, light snows, and then a thaw...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Judy ~ I'm humbled that you would want me to teach you something! Your photography is so beautiful... the photos at Evan & April's wedding are lovely examples ~ I was just looking through them again yesterday :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Christine :)

    Thank you Lucy ~ I regularly use these sites:

    The Quote Garden
    www.quotegarden.com

    The Spirit of Gardening
    www.gardendigest.com/quotes.htm

    What Does the Bible Say About...
    http://www.openbible.info/topics/

    Hope you get a chance to check out some quotes and verses :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Janet ~ The rose picture just amazes me... my husband is actually the rose enthusiast because his great-grandfather Berry was in a Rose Club ~ and had a garden devoted to them... that rose cost $6, a bargain buy compared to the others, and (in my opinion) it's the best :) I thought we'd have snow the other day, but it missed us to the north... it'll be here soon enough, right? Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."
    Albert Camus.
    To me,an expression of faith in humanity, faith in himself, faith in the universe , by a man who was most probably an atheist.
    A profession of courage & hope.
    I loved Camus when I studied his work at university in England & France.
    Thank you for including this.
    I love the Andrew Wyeth quotation,too.

    ReplyDelete

“Kind words can be short and easy to speak,
but their echoes are truly endless.”

~ Mother Teresa