Saturday, December 5, 2020

Snowy Christmas Memories


"Like snowflakes, my
Christmas memories
gather & dance...
each beautiful, unique,
and too soon gone."

 Deborah Whipp







Some of my favorite childhood winter-time memories were made in the snow. Waking up to, "Honey, you can sleep in - it's a snow day," was the best! Going sledding, getting in snowball fights, coming in half frozen to hang (throw) snowy/wet clothes next to the stove (so we could go out and do it all over again!). And of course, hot cocoa with mini marshmallows (thanks Mom!). It never quite seemed to snow on Christmas, though. At least, not the deep, Christmas card kind. Except... one year.

It was Christmas morning, before presents, and I was already giddy. I remember jump-sitting on the couch, then reaching out to touch the cold window behind it. Looking out through our screened-in porch, I could just make out the backyard beyond. All I could see at first were shades of blue, from the early light. I kept watching... and then all at once I could tell everything was covered in a thick blanket! My little heart was surely beating fast, what with the extra excitement! There was a fire in the fireplace, and our Christmas tree was beautiful as ever. So thankful for that tiny spark of a memory that brings it all back to life!

This year, I'll still wish & hope for that kind of snow. For myself, my husband, and my own kids - excuse me, teens. But truly, I really just hope we're all healthy and warm, and content in our home, and I hope that for you as well. 2020 has been a rough year - one for unique, if not "ideal" memories. So, yes, I would always love to have that kind of snow again on Christmas. But more than that I want to make the most of what we've been given. I want to make the kind of Christmas memories that last.



Here are the free graphics
& sources 
used in my artwork:

*The Old Design Shop*
Snow-covered country church

*The Graphics Fairy*
 Angel on a cloud

I used Fotor to do my editing.
The snowflake element was free
on that site. I just added
a shadow effect to make it
stand out. Script font for
'Merry Christmas' is Arizonia. 


Thanks for stopping by, and
Merry Christmas!

11 comments:

  1. J'aime beaucoup ce que vous faites ! C'est charmant ! Bravo et merci de la part d'une admiratrice française !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you... it's so nice to hear from others near & far who appreciate my work! Have a wonderful day!

      Delete
    2. Voilà, je me suis abonnée à votre blog ! A bientôt.

      Delete
  2. That's lovely! many thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emmanuelle - glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  3. Your Christmas memory is precious and I was very glad to see Lilac and Lavender show up in my inbox. I also like to see snow. Everything seems still and calm with fresh snow. Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much - I didn’t intend on writing, but glad I was led there. You’re right, almost everything looks better with a fresh covering of snow. Sounds are hushed and it is peaceful. Hope you are well & have a great day!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful post wishing you wonderful snow memories to come!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Christine, and same to you!

    ReplyDelete

“Kind words can be short and easy to speak,
but their echoes are truly endless.”

~ Mother Teresa