Thursday, August 25, 2011

Nearing Summer's End


I walk without flinching through the burning cathedral of the summer.  
My bank of wild grass is majestic and full of music.  
It is a fire that solitude presses against my lips.  

~Violette Leduc


"Love is to the heart what the summer is to the farmer's year... 
it brings to harvest all the loveliest flowers of the soul."

~ Reverend Billy Graham

 
This was one of those perfect New England days in late summer  
where the spirit of autumn takes a first stealing flight, like a spy, 
through the ripening country-side, and, with feigned sympathy 
for those who droop with August heat, 
puts her cool cloak of bracing air 
about leaf and flower and human shoulders. 

~ Sarah Orne Jewett, The Courting of Sister Wisby, 1887


3 comments:

  1. The first image is not my own... I found it here:

    http://www.morguefile.com/archive/display/618972

    The picture of hydrangeas I took a few evenings ago, just as the sun began to cast a golden glow on everything... beautiful time of day.

    The last picture was taken in a spot overlooking our neighbor's pastures. The kids and I were on an 'acorn hunt' and I took my camera along to take pictures of them. Happened to get some really pretty pictures of the landscape as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan...those pictures are gorgeous. You have a gift for finding the perfect words to accompany them! You also have an eye for beautiful photography! WOW! Love it! This post stole my summer-heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Janet! I love the way Jars of Clay and Summer Moon turned out also :) Photography is something I've been experimenting with a little more since spring. I love trying to capture a 'mood' in an image. Hope you have a great day :)

    ReplyDelete

“Kind words can be short and easy to speak,
but their echoes are truly endless.”

~ Mother Teresa