Tuesday, August 16, 2011

It's Never Too Late

This morning while preparing a bottle of milk for our calf, I called to the kids to let them know I'd be heading out soon.  Usually my daughter stays inside while my son walks with me back to the barn.  I look forward to our little morning walk & talks... it's a special time for us both.

Today I heard two little voices say, "Bye Mom!"  So I left alone.  I attempted to take in the early morning sights, but my thoughts kept drifting back to my son.  It was so quiet without him talking by my side...

The calf was patiently waiting in his usual spot, so I made my way over and he started on breakfast.  His bottle was half emptied when I heard a door open and shut, and then I heard crying... it was my little boy.  He ran to me, hugged my leg, and asked through tears, "Am I too late?"  I said, "No, look... I'm still here.  You can still help me feed him."  He rubbed his eyes and reached out to hold the bottle.

As the calf finished, I took the empty bottle in one hand, and my son's hand in the other.  We walked back to the house together, with enough talking, giggles, and smiles to make up for any time lost ~ or tears shed...

We yearn for closeness with our children ~ just as God longs for that same closeness with us...

Sometimes we get so caught up in our busy lives and what we want, that we put God off to the side...  We think we've got everything under control and either forget to ask for His help, or just don't think we need it... but we do.  It's comforting to know that although we may forget about Him... He'll never forget about us.

God is faithfully waiting for you to remember Him.  He's waiting for you to return to His side... and no, it's never too late for that.



Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. 
- Lamentations 3:22-23

8 comments:

  1. Megan, do you know how often I quote La. 3:22-23 to myself. It is one of my precious, precious verses. I also LOVE your picture! My son feeds calves at the dairy farm next door. I grew up milking cows, feeding calves etc. Now we have a house in the heart of farming country. I just picked Matt up from a day of unloading straw bales. He told me he loves the feeling of working hard and sweating like crazy! I'm so glad he can taste a little of what I knew growing up...but I sigh a little when I read your posts because life was simpler when they were younger. God bless you and your precious family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janet, I looked for another verse that would go better with this post, but I just kept coming back to Lamentations 3:22-23. It is one of my favorite verses as well...

    I grew up in the country, but not on a farm ~ there is a difference, I've found. My husband grew up farming, and is a very hardworking man. At first I was upset that he was often away in the fields or down the road doing something (away from me and the kids)... but gradually I realized I had to do my part, and now I'll go out with the kids and we'll have an impromptu picnic and walk, or my husband will stop to take the kids on tractor rides. I could still be mumbling and complaining at home, but ~ life really is what you make it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny...and I have looked (sometimes enviously:)to farming families...but I know, it is very hard work and very long hours! ...and just because the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence doesn't mean that it still isn't just grass. Life really is what you make it!...and so is marriage, right:)Jim (my husband) is in New Jersey tonight and I always call him after Matt and Victoria are tucked in. If he was home every night I would likely write less than half of what I do now...I suppose it is a hobby as well as an out-let, for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish there was a 'like' button for your comments... I agree with everything you just said :) Blogging has definitely been good for me. It's focused my thoughts and helped me learn more about myself and my faith. Everyone has something they struggle with, and it's easy to have pity-parties, but they don't really get anything done! ...

    When I was first married, my husband said he'd do the dishes if I made the meals... that didn't happen. For awhile I'd just let the dishes pile in the sink, but he never cleaned them. Finally Dad told me to get over myself, stop complaining, and just do the dishes! Of course at first I was mad, but I knew it was true... Dad has a way of setting me straight :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful post and your son is just beautiful, too. I love the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good Morning...I'd 'like' button your comments too...they inspire me. Gotta love those dads, huh? I remember saying to my dad I wish I grew up in 'the good old days'. He said the 'good old days' seem good now because we've forget the bad and recall the nostalgia...then with a smirk he said, 'here's a pail, the creek is just over the hill. In the good old days they carried all their water, so start walking!!!!':) ugh...Point well-taken.(it was winter:) I think of it every time I might 'pine' for simpler times. We are living in the good old days of tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a feeling our dads would get along... My husband is always saying he wishes he grew up back in the 1940's or '50's. As for me, I'm fine just where I am! I think you can still live by the same values of previous generations, without actually being there :)

    ReplyDelete

“Kind words can be short and easy to speak,
but their echoes are truly endless.”

~ Mother Teresa